Are You Addicted to Cocaine?
If you have been abusing cocaine for several weeks or longer, it is likely that you may be addicted to this highly habit-forming drug. However, you may only be on the edge of addiction, and it is important to understand how serious your situation is so you can receive the help you need. Use the information and ask yourself the questions below in order to find out if you are already addicted to cocaine.
The Severity of Cocaine Addiction
According to the Center for Substance Abuse Research, “Cocaine is a highly addictive substance, and users can quickly develop a tolerance to the drug, needing more of the substance to achieve the desired effects.” This tolerance can become dangerous very quickly, causing cocaine abusers to take more and more of the drug each time. In addition, those who have been abusing the drug for a long period of time will often experience withdrawal symptoms if they attempt to stop. This can also be a strong sign of addiction when someone is abusing an illegal substance.
Cocaine addiction is serious and can lead to problems with loved ones, issues in school, work, or other areas of an individual’s life, legal problems, debt, and mood disturbances. Most people who are addicted to cocaine struggle with the way the drug affects their moods and many deal with severe depression, anxiety, and other disorders. The strongest sign that you are addicted to cocaine, however, is knowing that you have no control over the frequency and intensity of your drug use.
Am I Addicted?
Ask yourself the questions below in order to determine whether or not you are addicted to cocaine. By being honest when you answer the questions, you can realize just how severe your cocaine abuse has become and whether or not it has slipped out of your control.
- Do you abuse cocaine every day?
- Do you feel that you cannot function or that you are not yourself without it?
- Do you become very upset whenever you cannot use the drug?
- Have your loved ones expressed worry about your drug use on multiple occasions?
- Have you begun to lie about your use of the drug and/or other events in your life to prevent your loved ones from knowing how intense your abuse is?
- Have you ever experienced withdrawal symptoms when you stopped abusing cocaine?
- Do you ever use the drug when you are alone?
- Has your drug use caused you to miss work, school, or other engagements frequently?
- Do you abuse cocaine in a binge-crash cycle?
- Have you experienced severe physical or psychological issues as the result of your cocaine abuse and ignored them instead of seeking help?
- Does it take stronger doses than it used to for you to feel the effects of the drug?
- Do you feel that your cocaine use is no longer under your control?
If you answered yes to these questions, you are more than likely addicted to cocaine. It is important to talk to your doctor right away about the option of treatment.
Do You Need More Help Determining Whether or Not You’re Addicted to Cocaine?
Call 800-736-5356(Who Answers?) and we can help you understand whether or not you are addicted to the drug. We can also help you find a treatment center in your area where you can recover.